Here at OBN, we are pleased to be collaborating with the Belgian Foreign Trade Agency on a full day showcase event on Wednesday 11th May, focusing on building relationships between the Belgian life sciences leaders and their counterparts in the UK.
This one-day event, taking place at St Hilda's College in Oxford will feature:
- Showcase presentations from 30 leading Belgian life sciences companies
- Workshop sessions addressing 'how to access the NHS' and 'an introduction to the Belgian life sciences Ecosystem'
- Panel discussion addressing 'An update on the trade and cooperation between the UK & Belgium as it affects life sciences R&D'
- Opportunity to book private partnering meetings and attend a networking lunch and drinks reception
Complimentary tickets are available for:
- Leaders from R&D companies in the Oxford and southwest region of the UK who are keen to learn and interact with their European counterparts
- Other leaders and decision makers from organisations that provide critical support to the life sciences community both here in the UK and across Europe
About the Belgian Life Sciences Sector and Trade with the UK:
- The UK and Belgium are regarded as world leaders in pharmaceuticals and biotechnology. The two countries have joint projects and mutual investments.
- Belgium is home to global innovation leaders across academia, large pharma and SMEs and is considered as one of the most attractive European regions for investments in biotech and pharma, thanks to the presence of globally leading universities, pharma companies and SMEs.
- The current total volume of trade is the same as in the years pre-Brexit (currently about £41bn, the same as, for instance, 2011 and ensuing years), with UK exports of goods to Belgium increased by 38.1% in the 12 months to December 2021.
- The top 5 service types exported from the UK to Belgium in the four quarters to the end of Q3 2021 were: Business Services (including R&D, professional and management consulting services, technical services and trade related services); intellectual property; telecommunications, computer and information services.
- The top 5 service types imported to the UK from Belgium in the four quarters to the end of Q3 2021 were: Business Services (including R&D, professional and management consulting services, technical services and trade related services); financial, transportation, insurance and pension, government.